Pine Crest Inn History
When New Englander James Walker Tufts began developing Pinehurst, NC in the late 1890's, the area quickly emerged as a winter destination for Northerners who were looking to enjoy a game of golf. As the resort at Pinehurst gained popularity after the turn of the century, it became obvious that more hotel rooms were needed. Mrs. E. C. Bliss of Edgewood, Rhode Island, saw an opportunity to become a hotel owner.
After ten seasons of operating the nearby Lexington Hotel, Mrs. Bliss decided to venture out on her own. On February 5, 1913, construction began on the Pine Crest Inn with over 50 area residents witnessing the ground breaking ceremony with both great interest and concern.Their concern was caused by a nearby baseball field. Baseball was played with great fervor in the early days of Pinehurst and the locals did not want their field to be compromised. Fortunately, it was said that a foul ball never struck the side of the Pine Crest Inn and both baseball and the Inn continued to flourish side by side.
After eight months of construction, the news media was greeted at the completed Pine Crest Inn which opened on November 1, 1913.Read More
History of Pinehurst NC
The Village of Pinehurst is a special place. It is a New England-style village exuding with southern charm and rich with golf history. It all began in 1895 with the vision of a man named James W. Tufts. The Village was designed in collaboration with Frederick Law Olmsted, most famed for his landscape design of New York City's Central Park and the gardens at The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.Read More